You can also record learning content independently outside the lecture halls. Here you will find an overview of suitable recording programs and recommendations for settings that meet both the quality and the currently limited resources. You can provide students with video recordings on the learning platforms recorded independently in your office or at home.
Record and publish in-course content autonomously
Record learning content independently
Recording a screencast
Adding audio commentary to presentation slides
Recording a Podcast
Screencasts are screen recordings with which learning content can be visualized and explained clearly. This can be the adding of audiovisual commentary to presentation slides, the development of formulas or the explanation of a special software. These instructions will help you do this.
An easy way to record a lecture without the use of additional software is to add audio commentary to the slides directly in the presentation software. This procedure is particularly suitable for static presentation slides.
Ist die Aufzeichnung des Videobildes nicht erforderlich oder möchten Sie Präsentationsfolien erörtern, die Sie bereits als Dateidownload bereitgestellt haben, können Sie eine Audioaufnahme als Podcast bereitstellen. Mit dieser Variante erzeugen Sie kleinere Dateien, die sich einfach distribuieren lassen.
No high-performance computer is required for your recording. A notebook or desktop computer running Win 10 or similar is sufficient. The choice of microphone determines the quality of the recording. Basically we recommend an external microphone. This has the advantage over an in-built microphone that, for example, inputs on the device are not recorded. If you have a headset, this is usually sufficient. The advantage of a headset is the even distance between mouth and microphone. The decision between a wired and a Bluetooth headset also depends on whether you like to sit, stand or even move while recording.
Tips for making recordings
- Make your environment (family, colleagues) aware of what you are doing with a sign saying "Attention Recording | Please do not disturb".
- A furnished room reduces the unpleasant room reverberation. Smooth surfaces are disadvantageous. This means that if there are cupboards in the room, leave the cupboard door(s) open.
Speech and voice
- Even if your voice does not correspond to that of a trained speaker, your voice is used to transmit personal factors. This can create a sense of closeness for students and they feel personally addressed.
- Unlike in a lecture hall, you do not have a "start-up time" when creating a screencast. Therefore, please consider in advance what you would like to say about each slide.
- Another advantage is that you focus on the essentials and reduce side remarks or amusing sayings/anecdotes. This reduces the amount of data.
- If you want to comment on a large set of slides (>50 pcs.), we recommend that you divide your slide presentation into 10-15 min blocks. This has several advantages:
- The production process is sequenced and gives you breaks to "catch your breath".
- You can provide individual lecture blocks with further tasks.
Making recordings available
If you have created a recording, you have the following options for making it available to students.