Making recordings available on learning platforms
Publishing in Stud.IP
In order to publish your recorded teaching content for the students, the MLU offers the Opencast system. This can be realized quickly and easily via Stud.IP. Please do not upload recordings via the file management, but always use the Opencast plugin via Stud.IP, because otherwise it cannot be guaranteed that the increased amount of data can be processed.
Video tutorial (German)
Activating the Opencast plugin in Stud.IP
Click on the tab "More" on the overview page of your Stud.IP event.
Scroll down the page to the very bottom and check the "Opencast" box. This will activate the plugin.
Uploading videos via the Opencast plugin
Click on the newly added tab "Opencast" at the top of the page.
To upload videos via the plugin, you first have to link a series to your event. To do this, click on "Create new series" under "Actions" on the left.
To upload a video, click on "Upload media" under "Actions" on the left.
Enter a suitable title for the video.
You can now add additional metadata to the video: "Topic" and "Description".
To upload a video file, click "Select file". Please note the copyright information below.
Confirm the upload by clicking on the "Upload Media" button in the lower lefthand corner and wait until the upload is complete and the window closes automatically. You can follow the current progress on a loading bar.
An info field indicates that the file was uploaded successfully. The video will now be processed in the background in the Opencast system and will be displayed in the event once processing is complete.
- After successfully uploadíng your file, you can supplement your recording with numerous online tools and thus offer a coherent online course. Information on various possibilities can also be found here in the LLZ-Wiki.
Publishing in ILIAS
If you would like to use videos in ILIAS there are several ways to do so, which we can currently recommend:
A) ILIAS object "Interactive Video"
With this object you can add questions and comments to specific moments in the video.
- up to 250MB by direct file upload
- use any Youtube video with the URL
- use any of your own videos with a public URL (for example via WWW Download)
Students as well as teachers can add comments to the video. Those comments can help to clarify difficult passages or serve as a way to discuss and develop ideas together.
B) ILIAS object "External Content"
Step 1:: Upload files yourself
A recording can be added to the ILIAS course room, a session, group etc. via the object "External content".
This object accesses the Opencast system. Therefore please upload your video to Stud.IP as described above.
Afterwards you can hide the “Opencast” tab in the Stud.IP menu so that the video is not (also) displayed there if you do not want it to be.
Step 2: E-Mail us
Please indicate the title of the recording and the link to the ILIAS course where the video should be embedded. We will do this for you.
C) For ILIAS learning module & co.
Short videos up to 250MB can be uploaded directly with the page editor.
- Click on a + block in the ILIAS page editor (e.g. in a learning module, Wiki or in the course area via the text/media editor)
- Aelect "Insert image/media”
- Select the file from your computer
- Ignore the note regarding the media's size
- Return to the standard view via the menu item "Page".
Videos between 250MB and 600 MB
(All kinds of) files up to a size of 600MB can be provided via the Uni Halle WWW download service of the ITZ.
The videos can also be embedded directly into the page editor (e.g. in a learning module or wiki).
Step 1: Enable
Your e-mail address needs to be enabled before the first use of the service. This can be done very quickly. Note: the latter part of the e-mail address ("uni-halle.de") is already filled in.
Step 2: log in
Step 3: Check file names!
The file name of the video must NOT contain any spaces, umlauts, or special characters. Since the link to the video must be public, it can theoretically be found by guessing. We therefore recommend to choose a file name that is difficult to surmise. You can use our Passkey-Generator for a random string that you can add to the file name, e.g. from "Lecture1.mp4" to "Lecture1-7ndDecjBleahMzgFpk4DHSeUMPmhyNS.mp4".
Step 4: Upload video for public use
Use the "Datei öffentlich hochladen" button to select the video file and WAIT until the file is completely uploaded! A success or error message will appear.
Step 5: Copy video URL
- Hit "back" to return to the start page of the service
- In the "Datei-Übersicht” you will find the files
- Copy the URL shown on the right
Step 6: Inserting in ILIAS
- Click on a + block in the ILIAS page editor (e.g. in a learning module, Wiki or in the course area via the text/media editor) and select "Insert image/media”
- Select URL option
- Paste copied URL into the field
- Behind http please add a s to the end of http so that it reads "https://webdoc...
- And return to the standard view via the menu item "Page".
Step 7: Supplementing the video
After successfully uploading the file(s), you can supplement your video with numerous online tools and thus offer a coherent multimedia course. Information on various possibilities can also be found here in the LLZ-Wiki.